- General Information
- Onboarding & Migration
- Newslines, Creating & Sending Releases
- Translations & Financial Wires
What is a newswire?
- After a PR professional writes a press release, they need a way to distribute it. This is where a newswire integration becomes handy.
- Newswire will take a press release and put it on the wire, an electronically transmitted service providing up-to-the-minute news stories to news desks and journalists. With over 100+ newslines, you can gain targeted, guaranteed coverage in a particular geo or beat.
How does a newswire compliment Influencer Outreach?
- Distributing a press release with the Newswire integration and sending an email to Influencers are both great ways for you to publicize your brand, campaign or issue. However, they should be used differently.
Pitching to Influencers
What and how?
Coverage from a newswire is essentially paid media. Some even call it an advertisement. Because it’s paid, it guarantees a certain amount of coverage.
Coverage from interacting with an influencer is earned media. You’re selling to a person, not a machine. Create very personalized communication in order to build a relationship. Remember: people don’t like to be spammed.
When to use them
It’s good if you’ve got general news that you want broad coverage on.
Examples: company announcements, new board members, funding & investment news, financial news
If you’ve discovered an influencer who writes about things that are similar to what you want to publicize.
Example: You found a tech writer that profiles female CEOs and you represent a tech company with a female CEO
How does a journalist interact with them?
Traditionally, journalists subscribe to a newsline. Newswire services help them identify new stories & fact check.
More often than not, journalists do not interact with them. Local papers & online sites will automatically reprint verbatim or headlines from distributions.
If the email looks like a brochure or a press release, they’ll probably delete it or mark it as spam.
If the email is personalized and shows they’ve done some research, then they may respond.
Where can I find out more information? I want to become a Newswire expert.
- Read about the value of press releases (particularly the AP & Canadian Press)
- Conner, Cheryl. “Press Releases Still Matter, But Not for the Reasons You Think.” Forbes.com. 28 Aug 2013.
- Finley, Kate. “Why Newswire Services Don’t Work (and When They Do)” spinsucks.com. 27 Nov 2013. ← great comments on this one
- Jas. “How Journalists Use Newswires.” Vitispr.com. 20 May 2015.
- Morgan, Carrie. “PR Question: Should I put my press release on the wire?” rockthestatusquo.com. 28 Oct 2011.
- Sprung, Rachel. “When Press Releases Do (And Don’t) Help Your Marketing.” blog.hubspot.com. 14 Jan 2014.
- Willaman, Mark. “Are Newswires Still Relevant?” hrmarketer.com. 5 Mar 2015.
Is this a Marketwired, Nasdaq or GlobeNewswire integration?
- When the three companies merged, they chose to go with the GlobeNewswire brand for all of their newswire products. So, it’s an integration with GlobeNewswire. Outgoing press releases will include “GlobeNewswire” in the dateline and they will be posted in the GlobeNewswire news room.
What happened to Marketwired?
- Nasdaq GlobeNewswire acquired Marketwired in the spring of 2016. Over the summer, they decided to move forward with the GlobeNewswire technology, but integrated the Marketwired newslines into the GNW API. It’s really the best of both worlds.
Onboarding & Migration
Do existing wire credits transfer to the new integration?
- Yes, of course! Outstanding credits from mPress or Marketwired can be migrated to equivalent credits in the new integration.
- Not for long. As part of the acquisition, they are shutting down the Marketwired Resonate platform. We suspect that the Resonate platform will shut down towards the end of Q2.
- The mPress integration is on an outdated version of the GlobeNewswire API. They’re shutting it down at the end of April. At that time, you will be unable to send wires from the legacy platform.
What is this company set up and approval process? Why do we have it?
- Before you send your first wire, you need to provide some details about your company (Name, Address, Primary Contact and a ticker symbol if you're public).
- The approval process is in place to avoid spoofing. And, it takes the place of the verification call that used to happen with every single Marketwired distribution.
I don't have Influencers, what will the app look like for me?
- The newswire integration lives inside the Influencers tab. When you buy newswires without buying any Influencers product, we’ll turn on basic features of the app (upload private contacts, list building), but turn off important features (search and email outreach).
Newslines, Creating & Sending Releases
Which newslines do I have access to and which categories are they in?
Where can I we see how many credits are used for a release?
- It’s pretty easy to figure out how many credits are remaining for a given account. Just click the +, it’s on the first step of the flow.
- As you start selecting newslines, the number of credits will deduct and it will show you how many credits you are going to use. It’s also displayed on the final confirmation page.
How do I insert images into the press release?
- Two attachments can be added to each release. Drag and drop the image. Once it’s uploaded, you have the option to add a caption. These images accompany your release to the GlobeNewswire news room, but due to technical restrictions they are not passed to downstream partners.
- Inline images (images that are embedded in the text of the release) are not supported due to newswire technology. If you copy/paste a block of text with images, the app will strip out any images when it is pasted.
Why is there a limit of only two images for the wire?
Why is there a limit of just three industries?
- GlobeNewswire enforces this limit. To put it in perspective, industry lists are very similar to the email outreach in ICM. GlobeNewswire needs to keep the selections limited to reduce spam.
- All of the content in the side panel is not required; however, supplementing the wire with the tools in the side panel can help add important contextual information and information and benefit search engine optimization (SEO). Hover over the ‘i’ on each component to find out more.
Will the releases include GlobeNewswire in the dateline? What news room will the releases get posted in?
- Outgoing press releases will include “GlobeNewswire” in the dateline and they will be posted in the GlobeNewswire news room.
- While the timing may vary, most ASAP releases are posted in fewer than five minutes. Keep an eye on your email inbox for a cross-time report sent from GlobeNewswire for confirmation that the release posted.
When I schedule a wire for the future, do you send it to GlobeNewswire right away or only at the scheduled time?
- We send the release to GlobeNewswire as soon as it is scheduled. Scheduled release may be canceled up until a few minutes before the scheduled release time.
Can I make edits to a scheduled release?
- Since we send the release to GNW once it’s scheduled, the release will have to be canceled. Luckily, you can duplicate their canceled release and make edits on the new draft.
Will the GNW editors call to verify every single release like we do with Marketwired?
- Nope. You should only get a call if there is a problem. This is truly a self-service platform.
Translations & Financial Wires
How do I send an earnings release?
- You will need to provide the release to your CS Rep 24 hours before you want it issued. This allows time to get the account set up with Nasdaq if it is your first release and ensures there is time for the release to be formatted to meet regulatory requirements.
What are SEDAR and EDGAR releases? And are they supported?
- SEDAR and EDGAR releases are regulatory filings and follow a specific set of requirements. They are not supported in the Newswire integration.
How do I send releases that require translations?
- You need to send your request 24 hours in advance to email@example.com.
Using English as the Source Language is encouraged for this process to run smoothly.
- Below are tables containing pdf files that list the publications included in the newslines available for the Newswires platform.
Regional Newslines (US & Canada only)
NATIONAL (US, Canada, or UK)
|MW Product Name||Available Translations|
|Canadian National & Disclosure Network||French|
NATIONAL (All Other Countries) NEWSLINES
|MW Product Name||Available Translations|
|Australia General Media||None|
|China General Media||Simplified Chinese|
|Hong Kong General Media||Traditional Chinese|
|India General Media||Hindi|
|Indonesia General Media||Indonesian|
|Japan General Media||Japanese|
|New Zealand General Media||None|
|Singapore General Media||None|
BUNDLED COUNTRY NEWSLINES
|MW Product Name||Available Translations|
|Asia General News||Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malay|
|Euro General News & Trade||French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Russian|
|Full Middle East||None|
|Greater China||Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese|
|Latin America Plus||Portuguese, Spanish|
|US Hispanic Media||Spanish|
|MW Product Name||Available Translations (6 translations are allowed per release)|
|Global General News||German, French, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Thai, Indonesian, Spanish (LatAm) or Portuguese (LatAm)|
|Global General News & Trades||German, French, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Thai, Indonesian, Spanish (LatAm) or Portuguese (LatAm)|